Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1809

Thread: covid-19

  1. #301
    On a conference call this morning (my London office are all instructed to work from home for the forseeable). Chit chat before the meeting kicks off, colleague 1 (UK) asks colleague 2 (India) how his sickness is going. Colleague 2 responds that his fever seems a bit better but the cough is still there so he decided to come into the office. Cue



    from colleague 1 and myself.

    I know India hasn't been badly affected yet, but come on
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  2. #302
    Jeez, how hard is it to understand that coughs spread viruses - and even if its not the CV it would be another one and there's no need to spread contagions at the minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  3. #303
    Mitt Romney has decided to fuck with Steely

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  4. #304
    Sticks and stones take a toll on me but they aren't your strongest weaponry
    You can take your shots but you'd best prepare, I can see smoke rising in the air
    Every move has a counteract, to turn the tides with a planned attack
    You push me down and the rest will rise but first I'm singing a battle cry

  5. #305
    All bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues have been closed state-wide in Washington state starting at midnight tonight. Take-out is still permitted. Gatherings of more than 50 people are also now banned (was 250).

  6. #306
    Johnson bungled that conference. Hope they fix this immediately.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  7. #307
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    All bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues have been closed state-wide in Washington state starting at midnight tonight. Take-out is still permitted. Gatherings of more than 50 people are also now banned (was 250).
    Same here since yesterday, and all schools are closed as well. And all coffeeshops, causing a national run on weed and massive lines. And after a marked increase in illegal sales they're now allowed to sell weed as a takeout again

    I had a trip to London planned for next weekend, until last week I still had hope we could go but by now I think it's not responsible to go anymore (even if everything remains open there and flights aren't cancelled). And we had tickets to the book of mormon, which I was really looking forward to
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Same here since yesterday, and all schools are closed as well. And all coffeeshops, causing a national run on weed and massive lines. And after a marked increase in illegal sales they're now allowed to sell weed as a takeout again

    I had a trip to London planned for next weekend, until last week I still had hope we could go but by now I think it's not responsible to go anymore (even if everything remains open there and flights aren't cancelled). And we had tickets to the book of mormon, which I was really looking forward to
    Hopefully they'll make an announcement before then that might help you get your money back at least.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  9. #309
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Hopefully they'll make an announcement before then that might help you get your money back at least.
    Would be nice, but eh, it's only money, not the biggest concern at the moment. Would be nice if we can rebook to a future visit though. At least we were smart enough to book a hotel with a free cancellation policy.

    Speaking of money, i have friends working in the cultural sector and in restaurants, where a majority of all employees have zero hour contracts or are freelancers, so effectively out if income now their employers are forced to be closed. Government says they'll support but not clear how, yet.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  10. #310
    My library system is closed for the next 30 days, but I'll still be reporting to work once my vacation time is over. The beaches down here are being closed city by city, which is crazy since spring break started today and that's huge for our economy. The county one over banned childcare services so if that spreads that might start to mess with our income since my wife is a vpk teacher.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  11. #311
    and there it is:

    https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ale...trategy-deaths

    Sweden also decided to follow their guidance, and I can only hope they'll reassess first thing tomorrow.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  12. #312
    Strong political responses. Swedish govt announced a crisis intervention package equivalent to a third of the national govt's total tax revenues (around 6% of GDP), in order to reduce the financial burden on employers and employees. Will facilitate technical unemployment (employers pay up to 50% salaries, govt covers rest up to 90%), reduce costs for paid sick leave (employers ordinarily responsible for first two weeks before govt steps in), refund several months' worth of tax payments, etc. Similar response in France—everyone knows what they need to do, they're just trying to figure out the numbers. EU response has been slow and disappointing, very unfortunate but understandable.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  13. #313
    All state liquor stores in Pennsylvania will close indefinitely due to coronavirus

    https://www.ydr.com


    Well WTF?! All non-essential business is closed (including bars and restaurants) and some grocery stores sell beer and wine, but the only place to buy "spirits" are the state liquor stores.

    Also, the PA turnpike is no longer accepting cash or credit cards, with limited service at some rest-stops.

  14. #314
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,993


    Nice graph showing why slowing down transmission is important.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  15. #315
    In a bout of Murphy's Law our fridge freezer died last week. Took the milk out of the fridge on Friday and thought it felt warm, smelt off despite being in date. Fridge display showed it was 2 degrees but felt warm, so I powered it off and on again and when it restarted the fridge said 20 degrees. Everything was ruined. Couldn't get fridge to cool down.

    Bought a new one (Samsung offered a repair or a 25% discount on any new one, given COVID and there wasn't much of a cost difference figured waiting a while for a repair that may cost the same as a new machine was not a good idea). New one arrived yesterday. Can't get a delivery slot for groceries as they're all sold out (we've had our groceries delivered for years now) so going to try to go to the shops today and going to have to do a big shop not due to panic buying but because we literally have nothing in now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  16. #316
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  17. #317
    Hopefully not too many countries will have tens of thousands of political prisoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Hopefully not too many countries will have tens of thousands of political prisoners.
    Just to be clear, many countries will have to make this decision also about those who aren't simply political prisoners.

    Meanwhile, leaders show true colors in crisis:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  19. #319
    In the UK, schools remain open for the time being.

    My sister, a deputy-head teacher at an inner-city school in one of the poorest parts of London, sent the following in a whatsapp conversation:

    I have 1 staff off with symptoms, and 7 isolating because they are living with people with symptoms, another 3 off with other issues. I have had to tell a member of staff who doesn't want to continue to come into work because they are scared they will get sick, infect their 92-year-old mother who will then die, that they have to come in to work. I have spoken to a parent who is isolating with their sick child who only has enough food to last the day, and £1 left on the gas meter and no money for more, and another whose wife was sectioned last night. I am now in a small room with 6 probably virus ridden children doing mock tests.

    I responded and asked why the hell schools were still open.

    She responded:
    Because if we close there are families who cannot feed their children as they rely on school dinners as their main meal (currently planning to run our own food service in event of closure), what happens to the workforce if parents have to stay home to look after kids- nurses, doctors, bin men, police force, supermarket workers for food and delivery workers all reduced?
    Because in London, many 14, 15, 16 yr old gang members are safely in school all day and if schools close long-term they are out on the streets doing (stabbing) god knows what. It's a balancing act! I suspect the governments reasons are much more about the economy but reasons above are why we feel being open is important. Not that I love the idea of not being here!


    Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  20. #320
    Schools must be closed—there's no getting around it. It was true when RB was mocking Stewart, and it's even more true now. A modern, developed nation that can't feed its children—in a pandemic or at any other time—is a failure. But especially in an emergency such as this you must be able to ensure your people have food. It's a matter of political will.
    Last edited by Aimless; 03-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  21. #321
    Agreed. Otherwise schools remain the one place where large numbers in the hundreds gather, the one place where the virus will continue to propagate, and will mean it will be many months longer before we attain containment than if schools closed. The downsides my sister reports will have to be worked through and managed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    'Rising sense of panic' in UK schools'
    A lack of advice for schools is creating "chaos and confusion" and placing "intolerable pressure" on staff and families, a UK teachers' union is warning.

    The NASUWT, which represents teachers and head teachers, said a lack of "specific information" was creating "a rising sense of panic".

    It says it wants a definitive decision on how to protect staff and pupils, and on school closures.

    Prime Minister Boris Johnson stopped short of announcing school closures as he unveiled unprecedented peacetime measures to try to control the spread of Covid-19 on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  22. #322
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,148
    I'm currently rather sceptical that we'll reopen our schools in two weeks.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  23. #323
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    In a bout of Murphy's Law our fridge freezer died last week. Took the milk out of the fridge on Friday and thought it felt warm, smelt off despite being in date. Fridge display showed it was 2 degrees but felt warm, so I powered it off and on again and when it restarted the fridge said 20 degrees. Everything was ruined. Couldn't get fridge to cool down.

    Bought a new one (Samsung offered a repair or a 25% discount on any new one, given COVID and there wasn't much of a cost difference figured waiting a while for a repair that may cost the same as a new machine was not a good idea). New one arrived yesterday. Can't get a delivery slot for groceries as they're all sold out (we've had our groceries delivered for years now) so going to try to go to the shops today and going to have to do a big shop not due to panic buying but because we literally have nothing in now.
    Damn, that's unlucky timing. Good luck with the shopping, are people hoarding there? It was on the news a lot here but the supermarkets around my place were fine on saturday (even had toilet paper!), but haven't been since.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    In the UK, schools remain open for the time being.

    My sister, a deputy-head teacher at an inner-city school in one of the poorest parts of London, sent the following in a whatsapp conversation:

    I have 1 staff off with symptoms, and 7 isolating because they are living with people with symptoms, another 3 off with other issues. I have had to tell a member of staff who doesn't want to continue to come into work because they are scared they will get sick, infect their 92-year-old mother who will then die, that they have to come in to work. I have spoken to a parent who is isolating with their sick child who only has enough food to last the day, and £1 left on the gas meter and no money for more, and another whose wife was sectioned last night. I am now in a small room with 6 probably virus ridden children doing mock tests.

    I responded and asked why the hell schools were still open.

    She responded:
    Because if we close there are families who cannot feed their children as they rely on school dinners as their main meal (currently planning to run our own food service in event of closure), what happens to the workforce if parents have to stay home to look after kids- nurses, doctors, bin men, police force, supermarket workers for food and delivery workers all reduced?
    Because in London, many 14, 15, 16 yr old gang members are safely in school all day and if schools close long-term they are out on the streets doing (stabbing) god knows what. It's a balancing act! I suspect the governments reasons are much more about the economy but reasons above are why we feel being open is important. Not that I love the idea of not being here!


    Christ
    Over here schools, kindergartens etc are closed but do have to provide for kida of people in 'essential sectors' defined by the government, which ranges from police and healthcare to supermarket and logistics staff.

    My own job is not critical on that sense, but my employer communicated that those with issues can take two days of paid leave to arrange things for kids. And my project lead was very clear that personal wellbeing is number one, if for anyone that conflicts with work he will support us.

    I'll be honest, i don't like the lack of social contacts when working from home and am lacking energy. But it's manageable, and I feel like i shouldn't complain considering I'm not ill, don't know anyone who is, and don't have to deal with e.g. kids.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  24. #324
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,190
    Seems like I still can get back to Amsterdam. I changed my flight to 4 days earlier. KLM flies empty planes to Istanbul till the 22nd but only allows Dutch citizens on the return flights.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  25. #325
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm currently rather sceptical that we'll reopen our schools in two weeks.
    I don't see them opening again this school year.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  26. #326
    The local school system is shifting its calendar to take the coronavirus days out of the summer. They're currently set to be closed until April 25th.

    Governor's office released this summary of local prohibitions:

  27. #327
    Thats what I'm expecting school wise. They are going to turn the last 9 weeks, which is supposed to start next week into virtual learning with a summer school schedule and treat summer like the 4th nine weeks everyone will be quarantined through.

    My county closed all bars for the next 30 days.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  28. #328
    Unused cruise ships will make excellent temporary hospitals. No need to build new temporary structures, just commandeer, clean, and staff.
    .

  29. #329
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Unused cruise ships will make excellent temporary hospitals. No need to build new temporary structures, just commandeer, clean, and staff.
    Not really. The ventilation is not good enough for that and it's also not a question of not having enough room.

    It's a question of personel and machinery.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  30. #330
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Not really. The ventilation is not good enough for that ...
    Better than a tent and easier and quicker to bring into compliance than a tent or other new structure.
    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •