I'm astonished by all these calls for DASSK to act. Her influence on and relevance to this matter is minimal. Given the opinions Burmese nationals are expressing on social media, I suspect she would lose even her moral authority among her supporters, were she to speak out against these atrocities. The Tatmadaw are certainly not going to start listening to her now or abandon their central military doctrine. Everyone should be calling for 1. intervention by and action from govts, supranational institutions and humanitarian organizations and 2. action from western companies conducting business in Burma. Even then, they'll be shutting the stable door after the horse has been forcibly displaced. Don't see a way back atm. Don't see how Bangladesh will be able to cope with this situation in a remotely acceptable manner. My dad's worked near the border several times in conjunction with the arrival of refugees, his friends there are telling him this goes far beyond anything they've had to deal with before. This like Christmas for terrorists, sex-traffickers and carrion-eaters.

The only comments I've gotten from politicians and companies (such as H&M) doing business in Burma are that they are "concerned" and "following the events actively" which is a load of horseshit.

I can't get over the sheer inadequacy of the international response. Feels like it's in line w/ the response seen after previous outbreaks of violence w/ waves of refugees, but even more shameful. India seems to be taking notes. The near future will be grim for SEA but I can't help but feel as if this crisis will have consequences for the entire world due to further erosion of crucial norms.

Anyway, my head's buzzing and Burmese trolls have successfully gotten Facebook to rescind my link-posting privileges so I'm gonna go try and wind down now.