Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
We're talking about a recent child marriage hotspot that for a long time resisted raising the marrying age from 14 to 16. I don't think anyone should be surprised by Moore's abiding support in the area. Putting aside traditional misogynistic notions about sinful precocious women trying to get good men down by tricking them or smearing their good reputations with lies, there is a tradition, in some places, of condoning or even encouraging this kind of archaic "courtship".
Don't forget that women have more or less been the property of men for, oh, 99.99% of human history. Before, say, the last hundred years, give or take, raping was only bad because it devalued someone else's daughter, wife, future wife and/or family honor/ reputation. Only recently has it become bad because of the actual harm it does to a woman.

Whenever I'm feeling particularly disgusted by the misogyny in the more socially backward parts of the world, I remind myself that women in the US have only been able to vote, widely access divorce, or widely earn their own living for less than a hundred years. The most enlightened human societies are really only very freshly out of the social dark ages when it comes to treatment of women.

It is the Age of Change, no?