Page 81 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Courts, media, intelligence and Senate is a bigger corner though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Courts, media, intelligence and Senate is a bigger corner though.
    What Senate? The one that confirmed all but one Trump nominee (and that one for hiring an illegal immigrant as a nanny)? The one that refused to do anything about the immigration ban? Give me a break.

A) The president's power can expand greatly if Congress doesn't challenge his usurpation of congressional powers.
    B) The president can simply ignore court decisions unless Congress threatens to do something about it.

As for the media, all the Trumpists are in their own world. They don't give a damn about the mainstream media is reporting. They still don't think Flynn did anything wrong (other than "lying to Pence").
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What Senate? The one that confirmed all but one Trump nominee (and that one for hiring an illegal immigrant as a nanny)? The one that refused to do anything about the immigration ban? Give me a break.

A) The president's power can expand greatly if Congress doesn't challenge his usurpation of congressional powers.
    B) The president can simply ignore court decisions unless Congress threatens to do something about it.

As for the media, all the Trumpists are in their own world. They don't give a damn about the mainstream media is reporting. They still don't think Flynn did anything wrong (other than "lying to Pence").
    And yet Flynn is still out (the Cabinet-level advisor closest to the President and arguably the most important/influential person in a President's administration), and the Senate Intelligence Committee has still launched an investigation. Someone is plainly listening.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    And yet Flynn is still out (the Cabinet-level advisor closest to the President and arguably the most important/influential person in a President's administration), and the Senate Intelligence Committee has still launched an investigation. Someone is plainly listening.
    Flynn was dispensable, and quite likely on the wrong side of the power struggle between Bannon and Priebus. And was supported by the GOP until the very moment of his dismissal.

An investigation (assuming it actually happens) that's aimed entirely at Flynn, who no longer works for Trump. The lesson to any official in the Trump administration: don't lose your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Talking to Russia isn't a big a deal as you think it is.
    If a Democrat did this, you'd be calling for their head. And I'd join you. But now that Russia helping "your side" win, it stops being a threat.

Flynn was dispensable, and quite likely on the wrong side of the power struggle between Bannon and Priebus. And was supported by the GOP until the very moment of his dismissal.

An investigation (assuming it actually happens) that's aimed entirely at Flynn, who no longer works for Trump. The lesson to any official in the Trump administration: don't lose your job.
    Of course he was dispensable. Every one in the Trump administration is dispensable except for Trump. No matter how much you wish he was too, he won the election, sorry. You're gonna have to move on from that battle. Importantly, Flynn's side in the power struggle is the one you don't like more, the one that is more dangerous to the US and not just "grade A conservative" (which, again, you're just going to have to get used to for the next four years. Even if Trump does somehow get impeached, you're still going to be left with a conservative administration. Get over it). You're going to see more situations like Flynn's, figures who get jettisoned once problems arise/start getting attention rather than staying and fighting a battle on behalf of the administration against investigations and criticisms. Because Trump is President and that's how the man works. I realize you desperately want to play "gotcha" games and this disappoints you but it's just not going to be that kind of Presidency. Trump has a thin skin, we all know that, this is one of the consequences of that. The real lesson is of course, "don't get caught" but that's been the truism in DC for longer than you and I have been alive combined.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

If a Democrat did this, you'd be calling for their head. And I'd join you. But now that Russia helping "your side" win, it stops being a threat.
    I'm not sure what you think you are getting at. As long as intelligence wasn't provided (real intelligence not potential future policy positions) I don't see the issue. We were talking about the lame duck portion of the Obama administration. I'm not sure what horrible sin you imagine Flynn having done that endangered America's interests at home or abroad by talking with Russia about the political sanctions that Obama used. Diplomacy was happening.

Talking to Russia isn't a big a deal as you think it is.

For the principle of checks and balances to work effectively in the way you're thinking, you need the different actors to check each other and to affirm one another's authority, with an intensity commensurate with any excesses attempted by any of the branches, and proactively.

Right now, Congress isn't doing much to encourage good behavior, and the limited resistance from the judiciary is more likely to undermine the courts' standing in the eyes of the public than to constitute a meaningful and lasting check on the Trump administration. The outcome will be that the administration will push right up against the farthest limits of its authority, possibly pushing those boundaries farther back than intended or ideal, either in general or in specific matters, with long-lasting consequences (eg. the harm done to US-Muslim relations as a consequence of the immigration order). It's a risky state of affairs.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    For the principle of checks and balances to work effectively in the way you're thinking, you need the different actors to check each other and to affirm one another's authority, with an intensity commensurate with any excesses attempted by any of the branches, and proactively.
    No. Oh that's the optimal ideal, yes, but it's not the minimum required to work effectively. And realistically, you are never going to get such a system that doesn't become almost purely reactive in the long run. Bad things will happen but they'll get stopped before too much damage is done. That's because a robust proactive system is frequently going to prove too cumbersome in crises.

Right now, Congress isn't doing much to encourage good behavior, and the limited resistance from the judiciary is more likely to undermine the courts' standing in the eyes of the public than to constitute a meaningful and lasting check on the Trump administration. The outcome will be that the administration will push right up against the farthest limits of its authority, possibly pushing those boundaries farther back than intended or ideal, either in general or in specific matters, with long-lasting consequences (eg. the harm done to US-Muslim relations as a consequence of the immigration order). It's a risky state of affairs.[/QUOTE]

BREAKING: Trump puts drink on side table with no coaster. Impeach now, etc.

Click to view the full version
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

No class. Bibi has used a coaster so we can forgive all those new settlements in Gaza.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

No class. Bibi has used a coaster so we can forgive all those new settlements in Gaza.
    Gaza, really?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

The UK was talking with the incoming administration before it took over. It is inevitable and caused by the enormous delay between the people voting and the person they voted for taking over.

West Bank ...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...eting-with-cbc

"Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus—" Ryan said.
    "Well, I would. I tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting?" Trump said, speaking over her. "Do you want to set up the meeting?"
    "No, no, no, I'm just a reporter," Ryan said.
    "Are they friends of yours? No, go ahead," Trump continued. "Set up the meeting."

Trump, displaying that there is always another level of stupid one can reach.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Made me think of Heineken for the first time in about a decade that comment.

What?

Flynn was Trump's man, why would Trump attack his own man as part of separation of powers? If you were saying the Senate were informed of this weeks ago and had sat on it then that would be different but generally people don't attack their own side whatever side that is in politics.

What?

Flynn was Trump's man, why would Trump attack his own man as part of separation of powers? If you were saying the Senate were informed of this weeks ago and had sat on it then that would be different but generally people don't attack their own side whatever side that is in politics.
    Let's pretend for a moment Flynn was acting entirely on his own initiative when he spoke the Russian ambassador: he should have sacked him/asked for his resignation as soon as he heard what he'd done, that he'd lied about it, and that the FBI or whoever thought he might be a security risk.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"The press honestly is out of control" . . . the press isn't supposed to be under control you fucking stupid oompa loompa!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38998362

Saying someone out of control does not imply they should be under yours though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

He's sure acting like he wants them under his control though.

He's sure acting like he wants them under his control though.
    https://action.donaldjtrump.com/main...bility-survey/
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    When is the last time anyone has seen a push poll this transparent?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-17-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

When is the last time anyone has seen a push poll this transparent?
    NPR is thinking the same thing:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/17/515791..._campaign=news
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    When Trump told Americans to take the poll, what he really meant was for people who share his already twisted take on reality to take the poll and inflate his ego. They've already reset the results and have sent out a new poll, with slightly fewer options. They've managed to somehow make their intent even more transparent.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/lp/main...ability-survey

Make what thou wilt

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

This is the part where we celebrate his complete and utter incompetence at governance.

Report: Trump transition ordered government economists to cook up rosy growth forecasts

and when he inevitably fails to reach those goals he'll blame Obama, and the illegals, then the legal immigrants, then the court system; and everyone who calls him on his bullshit will be labeled fake.

oh, wait...