Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $15 minimum wage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On the bright side I do look forward to labor saving technology. Cashiers at fast food restaurants *should* go the way of the dodo.

I only skim read that because I'm about to go to bed, but that look like a bunch of "here's what I think is going to happen", so whatevs. Interesting that the full 15/hour thing isn't going to be fully implemented until 2022 though, that makes it quite similar to the UK plan for a living wage of £9 ($13) an hour by 2020. It's, what, 3 dollars above inflation over 6 years or something like that? Or are they going to front load most of the hike this year?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The median hourly wage in England is 13 pounds. So 6.50 is actually what the author there says is tolerable. Plus the UK has a scaling minimum wage, which means the people least likely to be employed under a high minimum wage (the youth) can be paid less. No such exception here.
    Hope is the denial of reality

An apprentice here as part of the minimum wage law has a structured meaning, ie as standard it might be one day a week studying and four days a week working.

Either way though, yes we know its not how it works there which was the point Loki and I were making. A minimum wage of $15 (which is £10.54) an hour may work for experienced adults but its not going to lead to job vacancies for high school dropouts. Someone who drops out of school at 16 or 18 without any qualifications or experience is going to struggle to get a job at $15 an hour. The worst thing you can do is price the young out of the jobs market as once someone has become long term unemployed they'll struggle later in life too and are likely to end up either working illegally or in a criminal enterprise or both.

For comparison our NMW is £3.80 ($5.41)) for under 18s or for over 18 is £5.30($7.54) so $15 is way out of the ballpark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhal...410-story.html Unions cynically keeping down wages of union members in order to increase union membership (and thereby union fees)...
    Hope is the denial of reality