Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ferguson gets weirder still

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    How would that be the other way around? Khend said that if you don't like the laws, that's a matter for the legislatures and you should turn to the political system, that the court isn't for pandering to group interests. Gay marriage isn't (well, wasn't) the law, it was against the law and there was a clearly identified group seeking specific redress and exception from the weight of that much more broadly applicable law.
    I suspect there might be some ethical discussion to be had about the consequences for the groups involved and about erring on the side of justice as well as freedom, equality and gay brotherhood. Moreover, there may be some differences between complete arbitrariness and creating case law.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The real problem is that there are multiple local groups with sharply diverging preferences, which means the prosecutor ultimately has to choose sides (and in most cases, they will side with the majority).
    I think the "real" problem is that DAs are expected to prosecute crimes....but have an aversion to prosecuting police because of their symbiotic relationship, and bias. All other arrests involving Officer Wilson were 'put on hold' during the grand jury -- because they knew the outcome could effect those future prosecutions.

You went on to mention legitimacy, and convincing the public that the system is fair, but somehow missed those were reasons for Furguson protests? The locals didn't have confidence in the police or the DA, and requests for a special prosecutor were denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I suspect there might be some ethical discussion to be had about the consequences for the groups involved
    Yeah, our civil rights issues are nowhere near as pressing or potentially oppressive as law enforcement and criminal conduct.

and about erring on the side of justice as well as freedom, equality and gay brotherhood.
    Meaningless rhetoric meant to make one position sound more noble.

Moreover, there may be some differences between complete arbitrariness and creating case law.
    You're going to have to explain that one, Minx, but I'm not picking up where you're assigning the distinctions and how you're doing it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Theruling class needs police to control this nation by force. That's why theydidn't charge Darren Wilson.

Thereaction from people is fierce. So they made a show of resignation withoutseverance pay. A little compensation for Michael Brown's life.

“It’s anoppressive organization now controlled by the one percent of corporate America.Corporate America is using police forces as their mercenaries.”

By Jay Syrmopoulos on December 2, 2014

Ferguson, Mo. – Retired Philadelphia Police Captain, Ray Lewis, has amessage for America. In a recent interview, Lewis makes it known that gone arethe days of the police working for the people.

According to Lewis,

“It’s an oppressive organization now controlled by the one percent ofcorporate America. Corporate America is using police forces as theirmercenaries.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ret...ImvQu7pWoqA.99

Why It’sImpossible to Indict a Cop

It’s not just Ferguson—here’s how the system protects police.

SCOTUS and the license to kill

The sick joke of self-regulation

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/45336