Thread: The Stock/Investment Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    A penny stock, really? Seems really risky, that's a volatile stock that hasn't had a great trajectory. Why do you like it?
    1. They're actually pretty predictable. They go up rather rapidly and then come down. Usually not more than a few halves of a cent or so.

2. Read the LTHU Details. They seem to have a pretty stable market for what they do and it doesn't look like they're just going to up and go out of business anytime soon, especially in regards to any growing demands for lithium and related battery/energy technologies.

3. They would not be a long term investment. I would've bought on days it went down, and sold on the days it went up. So on the day it went down to .024/.022 I would've sold the very next day when it hit .04/.044. Even if I completely missed a day I could've sold it at .035. Those don't seem like bad returns. Especially for not doing much of anything.

4. With the amount of money I'd be investing (I'm unsure how much fees for online investing, buying, and selling are so that could mess up any plans), but their volatility means I'd be buying and selling stock once or twice or more a week, but seeing anywhere from $100 - $800 from each sale. Which isn't bad for a week compared to what I make now in retail. In fact that recent blip where they doubled in one day would've meant I'd have made more in one day from them than an entire year in retail. But their volatility combined with the amount of money I'd be investing would mean I'd be wiped out financially if they crapped out.

5. I'm also unsure if buying and selling one company's stock in this manner is moral, or how they'd feel about it. It seems like it'd be way too easy to make money this way (sitting watching a stock ticker, buying low, selling high, compared to lifting boxes and stocking shelves 20+ hours a week). There either is some flaw to my plan, or some other problem that should crush it, like fees etc.

I did actually buy a bunch of BP stock this summer. Made 16% on it. I'm vaguely considering buying more because they may be a takeover target and the stock is depressed a bit due to their failed deal in Russia. But I don't really want to throw any more money at it.
    Had you stuck with it longer you could've stood to make more

RE your options at your former employer-- is the company doing well? Can you sell the options instead of risking money on the stock?
    Its profit sharing, not stock, so...but otherwise, the one doctor left who helped found the office is past retirement age, so he could retire anytime he wants, this would leave them with one doctor, who, while a good doctor, does not have as long of a history with patients who come there (years versus decades), nor as many patients that were seen by the one who would be retiring. They should still be in business though through the forfeit date.
    Last edited by Illusions; 04-19-2011 at 02:26 AM.
    . . .