Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA (soccer)

Default FIFA (soccer)

England's 2018 World Cup bid has been "significantly harmed" by a newspaper investigation into the bidding process, says a key member of the campaign team.

...But it now seems the Sunday Times probe into two members of the committee has left England with a mountain to climb ahead of the vote on 2 December. "It has significantly harmed England's bid," a senior member told BBC Sport...

...But senior sources say that the prospect of any future media investigations into the conduct of Fifa officials - including a potential Panorama programme on the BBC - could be fatal for their chances.

One member of the bid team told the BBC: "The question is: can we recover from this? Fifa members feel they are being persecuted by the British media...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9157121.stm

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Britain is getting punished for exposing FIFA corruption? And instead of being outraged, Britain is trying to suck up to FIFA and sweeping the corruption charges under the rug? And that Britain is being punished for investigative reporting (which wasn't lying for once) by its free media? Seriously?
    Hope is the denial of reality

It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

So what would be strange about England being punished by FIFA for making look FIFA bad? You seem to think that FIFA is accountable to any national government. The national governments are the asking parties here and there are enough of them to not putting up with any negative vibes. Too bad for you if they don't care for your sense of propriety.
    Congratulations America

Typical FIFA, not shocked or surprised in general.

Loki, I believe that there is a rule somewhere that you can't post about soccer without posting hot soccer player pics in the OP...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Loki, I believe that there is a rule somewhere that you can't post about soccer without posting hot soccer player pics in the OP...
    I approve of this message.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Actually any hot man in a state of limited dress would do.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Nah, there is actually a rule that you never talk about the looks of a football player.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Nah, there is actually a rule that you never talk about the looks of a football player.
    Goes on ignore.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841783

And still the story is that FIFA will retaliate over the allegations, not that FIFA is corrupt.

Because people of above moderate intelligence assume that such sports governing bodies, like the IOC, are fairly corrupt, and hence the only real news is that OMFG MY COUNTRY/CITY ISN'T GOING TO GET A BID!!11!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841783

And still the story is that FIFA will retaliate over the allegations, not that FIFA is corrupt.
    Indeed. The Times and Panaroma should be applauded and thanked for their investigations but that won't happen. There are only 22 people making the decision and many are either personally corrupt, from corrupt nations or don't view the corruption as a problem. Bringing them into disrepute (rightly) is instead frowned upon. Nobody likes to be told off.

I think England's chances of hosting 2018 are dead in the water as a result of these investigations and I think that's a shame. But I am glad I live in a nation where we have a free press, where we have high quality investigative journalism and where the government doesn't shut up the media "for the national interest". I'd rather that than a one-off sporting contest be here once in my lifetime.

There are some proposals in the Swiss parliament that would let us have more control over the corruptions within the FIFA and IOC. The thing is that both are currently treated as Non-profit organizations. Due this fact they don't have to follow the same law as business.

Bizarre why is FIFA treated as a non-profit organisation and why are non-profit organisations allowed to be more corrupt than businesses?

Also, would the Brits perform better in England than they would elsewhere?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Bizarre why is FIFA treated as a non-profit organisation and why are non-profit organisations allowed to be more corrupt than businesses?
    Well the FIFA is an organization, and they don't give out dividend or anything like it (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit_organization). About the second question, this is pretty much a loophole in the anti-corruption law.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Also, would the Brits perform better in England than they would elsewhere?
    Depends on who you ask. If you were to ask me, I'd personally say they've got no hope. They'd played better when we had the Euro 96 tournament mind you (obviously we didn't win!). But ultimately i don't think we'd win any tournament if it were at home and that isn't to do with the amount of 'foreign players' in our leagues.

I have no idea on the other bids but in terms of infrastructure and stadiums the UK/England has the infrastructure in place to handle the WC tomorrow if required. Old Trafford, Wembley, Emirates, Stadium of Light, Stamford Bridge, Reebok Stadium and even City of Manchester Stadium is worthy enough.

And FIFA acts like a petty tyrant once again.

2 nations with the greatest oil sovereign wealth win it. Follow the money.

And two nations that are nice enough to suppress any negative press reporting of FIFA.

England got 2 votes out of 22, bit of a joke that even were to lose out to a better bid.

Bit of a joke it going to Qatar. A "nation" that not only doesn't have the stadia, it can't have the stadia. They're going to build temporary stadia for the competition then knock them down and send the parts to other nations (no hint of corruption there then).

"Do we really want to deal with the English press for the next 7 years"
    "Newspaper clippings were being passed around the delegates"
    "Delegates brought up the Panorama investigation"

etc, etc are various quotes from people involved. I stand by my comment up-thread, I would far rather live in a nation with a free press than live in a nation like Russia.

Re-opening thread as it appears I accidentally locked it.

Seems we need some fix on the forum.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    The amount of stupidity it took to pick Qatar wouldn't even fit in the stadiums they claim they will build.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And FIFA acts like a petty tyrant once again.
    Sounds like a very sound business decision.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    "Do we really want to deal with the English press for the next 7 years"
    "Newspaper clippings were being passed around the delegates"
    "Delegates brought up the Panorama investigation"

etc, etc are various quotes from people involved. I stand by my comment up-thread, I would far rather live in a nation with a free press than live in a nation like Russia.
    Funny, as Russia is a lot closer to a raw capitalist country than the UK.
    Congratulations America

The grapes are quite sour I understand? It is sort of cute to assume that people will vote for you just because they didn't laugh in your face about your offer.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Sounds like a very sound business decision.
    Yeah, because Qatar is going to sell more tickets than America would.